[patch] good bye sockaddr_inarp

Andre Oppermann oppermann at networx.ch
Wed Jan 30 11:45:36 UTC 2013

On 30.01.2013 10:25, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>    Hello!
>
>    It looks to me that the only thing the sockaddr_inarp was
> ever used for is to carry the SIN_PROXY flag.
>
>    The SIN_PROXY flag in its turn, meant install a "proxy only"
> ARP entry. Such entry behaves as any "published" entry, but
> doesn't modify the routing table of the host.
>
>    Please correct me, if I am wrong in the above ^^.

Proxy arp is used for ppp for example when the remote end is
given an IP address from a locally connected network.  Usually
the IP address was obtained via DHCP.  The ppp server then
installs a proxy ARP entry for this IP address to receive all
packets for it and forward them over the PPP link.

>    Now, once ARP and routing are somewhat divorced, the meaning
> of "proxy only" is lost, because any entry doesn't affect routing
> table.

We still need the proxy ARP functionality and semantics.  The
routing table however isn't involved anymore as you've observed.

>    This allows us to cleanup usage of SIN_PROXY and after that
> it appears that we don't need sockaddr_inarp at all. Attached patch
> does that. I didn't notice any functionality regressions, and I'd be
> grateful if anyone points me at a test case, that would.
>
> P.S. More reading on the history can be found here:
>
>       http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=12357

Excellent.  More cruft going away.

--
Andre