[patch] good bye sockaddr_inarp

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 30 09:25:47 UTC 2013

  Hello!

  It looks to me that the only thing the sockaddr_inarp was
ever used for is to carry the SIN_PROXY flag.

  The SIN_PROXY flag in its turn, meant install a "proxy only"
ARP entry. Such entry behaves as any "published" entry, but
doesn't modify the routing table of the host.

  Please correct me, if I am wrong in the above ^^.

  Now, once ARP and routing are somewhat divorced, the meaning
of "proxy only" is lost, because any entry doesn't affect routing
table.

  This allows us to cleanup usage of SIN_PROXY and after that
it appears that we don't need sockaddr_inarp at all. Attached patch
does that. I didn't notice any functionality regressions, and I'd be
grateful if anyone points me at a test case, that would.

P.S. More reading on the history can be found here:

Totus tuus, Glebius.