To SMP or not to SMP

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Thu Jan 10 19:37:16 UTC 2013

On 2013-Jan-07 18:25:58 -0800, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a situation where I have to run 9.1 on an old single core
>box. Does anyone have a handle on whether it's better to build a non
>SMP kernel or to just use a standard SMP build with just the one
>core?

Another input for this decision is kern/173322.  Currently on x86,
atomic operations within kernel modules are implemented using calls
to code in the kernel, which do or don't use lock prefixes depending
on whethur the kernel was built as SMP.  My proposed change changes
kernel modules to inline atomic operations but always include lock
prefixes (effectively reverting r49999).  I'm appreciate anyone who
feels like testing the impact of this change.

--
Peter Jeremy