Any recommendations for a 10G NIC from Broadcom

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 19:26:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:10:20PM -0800, Vijay Singh wrote:
> Hi. I would like to try out a 10G NIC from Broadcom. The BCM5716 seems
> promising. I am looking for features such as multi-queue, MSI-X, TSO
> etc. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -vijay
>
> PS: I'd be using FreeBSD 8.2 initially, and FreeBSD 9.x in a few months.

AFAIK BCM5716 is a gigabit ethernet and bce(4) supports the
controller.  bce(4) lacks multi-queue support but all other
hardware features are supported.  Enabling multi-queue for both
bce(4) and bge(4) is one of my TODO list but I couldn't find spare
time to do that.

As John said, bxe(4) supports Broadcom's 10G controllers, BCM5771x.
The driver supports all hardware features you mentioned(including
multi-queue through RSS/TSS).  Unlike most other 10G controllers,
these controllers support hardware based true LRO which would
outperform software based implementation.  bxe(4) is not available
on 8.x yet.