SNMP Network Auto Discovery software ... ?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:29:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:

> Would like to find something that runs on FreeBSD that I can use to map our
> network, preferrably dumping to a database, and grabbing information like:
> interface / ip / cpus / hostname, etc ...
>
> Server needs to run on FreeBSD ... needs to be able to commuicate, via
> SNMP, with Windows, Cisco, Linux, FreeBSD, NetApp Filers, etc ...
>
> Would like it to be able to generate an overall map of our network, but,
> also, be able to use it as a basis for keeping stuff liek nagios / cacti up
> to date ...
>
> Web based interface into the database would be nice ...
>
> Is there anything like this available that runs on FreeBSD that ppl are
> happily using?

I've used OpenNMS and zabbix on FreeBSD servers.  I liked the OpenNMS
interface(restful) better than zabbix for several reasons, but ultimately
the fact it's java based and resource intensive required me to go with
zabbix.  Zabbix is good too, except for some annoying, non-critical
interface bugs.

--
Adam Vande More