Ethernet link status on i82576

Ben Hutchings bhutchings at solarflare.com
Mon Jul 25 15:32:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 16:38 +0700, Ivan Alexandrovich wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:08:18 -0400 Ryan Stone <rysto32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I notice that the interface not up in your test.  If you ifconfig it
> > up does it detect that it has lost link?
>
> Thank you. When the interface is "up" driver works as expected.

It's common behaviour that the physical link status is not (easily)
available while the interface is down.  In Linux we resolved that when
an interface is down its link state is always reported as down (where we
have to give a boolean answer).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.