IPv6 after reboot: noting works for ~5 minutes, normal operation after that.

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 21 10:36:31 UTC 2011

Hello, Freebsd-net.

  Ok, I've set up my router for IPv6 support (everything work at last:
routing, prefix announcements, firewall, which allows ping but not
access computers in my LAN from outer world, etc), double-check all
configs and reboot router to be sure, that everything will work in
case of reboot (that all manual changes are reflected in configuration
files).

  Router boots up, all interfaces and firewall are Ok, gif0 interface is
up. But for first 5 minutes IPv6 is useless! It can not even ping6
its own end of HE tunnel (bind to gif0)! Echo requests are sent, but no
replies. It can not ping other end of tunnel, Goolge's IPv6 addresses,
it can not be pinged from outside, etc.

  I've panicked, but about 5 minutes later everything works!
Fully-functional IPv6 router, everything can be pinged, tracerouted, I can
connect to outside IPv6 hosts, I can ping internal hosts from outside,
etc.

 I've repeated reboot -- result is the same. 5 minutes router ``doesn't
support'' IPv6, everything works after 5 minutes without any changes in
configuration from my side.

 Is it normal? What do I do wrong?

 I'm sure that it is not firewall problem, as after these 5 minutes
"deny" counters of my firewall are almost all zeroes -- only my ISP
local network (IPv4) protection shows dropped packets (it has many
script kiddies and zombie systems in local network, so it is not
surprise me).

  FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>