freebsd for Sun Fire X4250

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 12:46:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 11:45 +1100, Sam Wun wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> The reason I want to stick with i386 is because about few years ago
> when I tried AMD release of FreeBSD, it didn't have the same level of
> proficiency as i386 release of FreeBSD - packagThat was my impression
> at that time. I hope it has changed in this years.
> Is there any major installation difference between AMD (64) and i386
> release of FreeBSD (8.0)?

These days, I suspect most developers are actually using amd64 as their
primary platform.  I would expect it to be supported as well, if not
better than i386. I run amd64 on all of my machines, and have done for a
couple of years now, and have not come across any issues that were
unique to amd64.

The main reason for recommending amd64, however, is because it is safe
to assume the X4250 comes with at least 4GB of RAM.  Using i386 would be
a waste on this machine :)

Gavin