igb interrupt moderation

Michael Tüxen Michael.Tuexen at lurchi.franken.de
Sun Jan 3 16:38:09 UTC 2010

On Jan 3, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 11:13 AM 1/3/2010, Michael Tüxen wrote:
>> >
>> > Just a separate datapoint about this driver, unless I apply
>> >
>> > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/igb/igb.buf.patch6
>> >
>> > the driver is not really usable for me in RELENG_8 on the dual port version of the card
>> Could you elaborate on what you mean by "not really usable"?
>

> Hi,
>        Some link state issues (getting confused about what port is up), problems at high packet rates.  I dont have this card in production, but in my test environment it was much more stable on RELENG_8 with the above patch in that I was not able to wedge the box.  pps rates were pretty ok on a low end i7 as well.
Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try. I have a problem when I flood
a system with SCTP INITs. The system under attack becomes completely unresponsive
on the console. However, it continues to send INIT-ACKs back. After the last
commit from Jack it recovers after the attack. Not yet sure what is going on.
Using the em driver does not have the problem. However, when using the em
driver only one core is fully used, when using the igb driver both cores are fully
used. Unfortunately I do not have a more than dual core machine available for
this testing...

Best regards
Michael