Attansic L1 Gigabit discovered on install but no link

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 23:53:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:28:54AM +0100, Patrick Ale wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I assume you're using age(4).
> > age(4) is one of driver that still does full re-initialization while
> > dhclient(8) is running, how about unplugging the UTP cable and
> > replug it while DHCP is in progress?
>
> Actually it is the 'ale' driver (kinda funny when you look at my last
> name ;-) )..
> And yes, you are right. When during the instalation I provide a static
> IP address, the link comes up and I have TCP/IP connectivity. DHCP
> always fails with 'no link' errors.

After you see the failure DHCP, unplug the UTP cable and wait 2-3
seconds and replug the UTP cable again. And execute "dhclient ale0",
does it make any difference?

> > There are several variants of L1 so please show me the dmesg
> > output.
>
> This is a 'dmesg | grep ale' output when I configure a static IP address:
>
> ale0: <Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe Ethernet> port 0x3000-0x307f
> mem 0xf6000000-0xf603ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
> ale0: 960 Tx FIFO, 1024 Rx FIFO
> ale0: Using 1 MSI messages.
> ale0: 4GB boundary crossed, switching to 32bit DMA addressing mode.
> miibus0: <MII bus> on ale0
> ale0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:d1:a5:b8:9a
> ale0: [FILTER]
> ale0: link state changed to UP

It seems you've removed PHY driver related message here.
Show me the output of "devinfo -rv | grep phy". Also show me the
output of "pciconf -lcv".

> So for now it is workable but I'd like to find out why DHCP is failing
> and if I can help out trying to figure out what is going on :)

Last time I tried ale(4) it worked as expected. I have no longer
access to ale(4) hardware so it would be hard to fix that but I'll
see what I can do.