Attansic L1 Gigabit discovered on install but no link

Patrick Ale patrick.ale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 10:29:04 UTC 2010

Good morning!

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume you're using age(4).
> age(4) is one of driver that still does full re-initialization while
> dhclient(8) is running, how about unplugging the UTP cable and
> replug it while DHCP is in progress?

Actually it is the 'ale' driver (kinda funny when you look at my last
name ;-) )..
And yes, you are right. When during the instalation I provide a static
IP address, the link comes up and I have TCP/IP connectivity. DHCP
always fails with 'no link' errors.

> There are several variants of L1 so please show me the dmesg
> output.

This is a 'dmesg | grep ale' output when I configure a static IP address:

ale0: <Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe Ethernet> port 0x3000-0x307f
mem 0xf6000000-0xf603ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
ale0: 960 Tx FIFO, 1024 Rx FIFO
ale0: Using 1 MSI messages.
ale0: 4GB boundary crossed, switching to 32bit DMA addressing mode.
miibus0: <MII bus> on ale0
ale0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:d1:a5:b8:9a
ale0: [FILTER]
ale0: link state changed to UP

So for now it is workable but I'd like to find out why DHCP is failing
and if I can help out trying to figure out what is going on :)

Thanks all for your time,

Patrick