Problem with re0

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:05:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 11:54 AM, Gabor Radnai wrote:
> > Realtek 8111 is not supported - that's the final conclusion? If so can
> this be made clear in re driver manual?
>
> At least some people have reported the Realtek 8111 working for them.
>
> This said, Realtek's older 10/100 NICs were infamous for being slow, buggy
> hardware that I'd choose to discard rather than install into a machine, and
> their gigabit NICs aren't much better.  Get a Intel em or Broadcom bce/bge
> NIC instead.

I guess it depends on various conditions:

re0 at pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x75811462 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device     = 'Gigabit Ethernet NIC(NDIS 6.0) (RTL8168/8111/8111c)'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

I can sustain over 700 Mb transfers, and it does somewhat better than the
bge nic I have which peaks at around 600Mb.  Personally, I've never had
great performance out of any Broadcom, but my experience is somewhat limited
there and haven't used any relatively current chipsets.

FreeBSD galacticdominator.com 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #5: Thu
Nov 25 19:14:00 CST 2010
adam at galacticdominator.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

This nic has been working on the stable branch for over a year from when I
aquired the system and I've never had an issue with it.

--
Adam Vande More