vlan limits on e1000?

Mihai-Catalin Salgau csalgau-br at bitdefender.com
Tue Dec 7 17:57:27 UTC 2010

Hello Jack,

> Same thing I was thinking, there is nothing else that should limit vlans in
> any way.

> Jack

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:33 AM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> On Monday, December 06, 2010 8:18:07 pm Mihai-Catalin Salgau wrote:
>> > Hello Freebsd-net,
>> >
>> >   I have two dual port NICs, one Broadcom(bce0,bce1) and one
>> Intel(em0,em1), on FreeBSD 8-stable
>> >   (about two weeks old) with a DHCP server running.
>> >   I've been successfully using a large number of vlans over bce1,em0 and
>> em1 with iSCSI,
>> >   but wanted to switch to AoE(ata over ethernet). I've set vlandevs by
>> round-robin, and got
>> >   vlan1 on bce0, vlan2 on em0, vlan3 on em1, vlan4 on bce0....vlan12 on
>> em1. I've binded
>> >   net/vblade instances to each interface, but the problem I'm facing now
>> is that while
>> >   vlans 1-10 are working properly, vlans 11 and 12 won't see any traffic
>> unless the interface is
>> >   in promiscuous mode. I noticed that while trying to attach tcpdump and
>> saw the thing instantly work.
>> >   I've had no problems with iSCSI over the same setup, and dhcp packets
>> are getting trough properly.
>> >   I've moved those last two vlans to bce0 and they work ok, but I'm a bit
>> locked on why this is happening.
>> >   Are there any known limitations on vlans on e1000?
>>
>> Are you using the 'vlanhwfilter' feature?
>>
>> --
>> John Baldwin

No, I'm not using it.
em0&em1 have RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4 enabled
The Broadcom has RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO
I've also tried disabling vlanhwtag and enabling vlanhwfilter, but it doesn't help.
Still, the moment I switch the interface to promiscuous mode, it works.
I've also tried setting 8 vlans on bce1 to see if there's a limit per driver for some reason, but it works ok.