Problem with igb(4) updated to version 2.0.7

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sat Dec 4 13:03:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010, Jack Vogel wrote:

> LOL, ya, I have one of those switches that takes that long, a
> Dell 5224,  takes some getting used to when you're used to
> back to back speeds :)

On the Dell you can speed things up with the "portfast" option. "Rapid
STP" will also help. These should be available on expensive switches.
Cheap switches don't cause any delay (the don't do STP which is the source
of the delay). FreeBSD shouldn't count on that being available, though.

Daniel Feenberg