Problem with igb(4) updated to version 2.0.7

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sat Dec 4 10:55:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Jack Vogel wrote:

> There are pros and cons either way you do things. I was talking to some of
> our
> Linux crew, they recently changed things so it would shut down the phy, but
> that
> doesn't always make everyone happy either.

It's kind of the classic admin shutdown but I can guess people .. well
anyway.

Another argument is that you actually save power and if you have 30k
machines out of which 20k don't need the 2nd port and you can save .2W
it's saving around 4kW just by turning PHYs off.

> Just saying that my FreeBSD drivers have not done so forever :)

And I am not saying they have to do it by yesterday;)  The very worst
I'd suggest is to add a sysctl so people can control it that the PHY
should be off if the interface goes down if you cannot find a
consensus with your coworkers.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.
         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!