Problem with re0

Gabor Radnai gabor.radnai at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:53:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:56:42PM +0100, Gabor Radnai wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone pls advise how to inject HEAD driver to stable release without
> > full kernel rebuild (if possible)?
> >

> If you have updated to stable/8, the driver code would be the same.
> So need to replace driver with HEAD version.

How exactly? What do you mean on 'replace': compile from source, just
copy the binary from
a snapshot image to /boot/kernel or ... ?

> > I tried this way but found no assurance/evidence actually kernel using the
> > new driver:
> > 1. download full HEAD source with help of csup
> > 2. in /usr/src/sys/modules/re did make install which in turn compiled re
> > driver and installed into default /boot/kernel
> > 3. reboot
> >
> > So far so good but still re0 driver cannot properly handle rtl8111 chip
> > seeing the very same symptoms as in case of
> > the driver shipped with RELEASE.
> >

> If my memory is correct, your controller is somewhat old 8168 PCIe
> controller. I also have the same TP-Link TG-3468 PCIe network card
> which seems to be the only stand-alone PCIe 8168 controller in
> market. I don't see any problems using the controller so would you
> summarize your issue again?(Sorry, if you already post it)

If you check the original post I did all details there but a quick summary:

I have two TP-Link TG-3468 PCIe network cards which is using Realtek
8168/8111 chip.
re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port
0xac00-0xacff mem 0xfdbff000-0xfdbfffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
re0: Using 1 MSI messages
re0: Chip rev. 0x38000000
re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
miibus0: <MII bus> on re0
rgephy0: <RTL8169S/8110S/8211B media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
rgephy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
1000baseT-FDX, auto
re0: Ethernet address: d8:5d:4c:80:b4:88
re0: [FILTER]

When I try to use it cannot process DHCP answer properly (sets IP address to
0.0.0.0/255.255.255.255), neither works if using fix IP. Link is up,
cable is working
but card simply cannot communicate. I switched back and forth all components I
could: new cable, connect to different switch port, replace card, use
the cable/switch port
which is working for integrated motherboard NIC, disable integrated
NIC ... no luck so far.

Thanks.