NATT patch and FreeBSD's setkey

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Feb 17 06:45:08 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, VANHULLEBUS Yvan wrote:

Hi,

> If someone has a magic solution without drawbacks, please tell us !

I am not going to find my posting from a few years back but the
solution is to keep the kernel and libipsec (and setkey) in base in
sync and not install libipsec and setkey from the ipsec-tools port.
Done.

That obviously means that people who patch their kernel need to patch
their user space as well but that should not be a problem as they
rebuild anyway and need to build ipsec-tools racoon etc. on their own
to use the new features as w/o changing the default options it doesn't
work for nat-t.

That also allows other 3rd party utilities using libipsec to continue
to do so and use all "features" w/o needing another fork.

>> Has anyone had any success using the patched FreeBSD along with racoon2.
>
> I just don't know what's the actual status of racoon2, but nat-t
> patchset is public and everyone can send changes if that helps
> interaction with other daemons (without breaking again the API if
> possible.....).

We have about 3 months left to get that patch in for 8; ideally 6
weeks.  Can you update the nat-t patch in a way as discussed here
before so that the extra address is in etc. and we can move forward?

I basically do not care if racoon from ipsec-tools is not going to
work for two weeks of HEAD or four as someone will quickly add a
conditional patch to the port for a __FreeBSD_version > 8xxxxx and
that can be removed once ipsec-tools properly detect the state of the
system.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                      The greatest risk is not taking one.