NATT patch and FreeBSD's setkey

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 17 06:28:57 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:48:06PM +0200, Riaan Kruger wrote:
> I see a lot of good work done on the nat-t patches for FreeBSD and ipsec-tools.

That's what we're trying to do, even if we know that there is still
some work to do !

> I was wondering if the base setkey is due for an update?
> If so is anyone looking to update it?

Upgrading FreeBSD's setkey is not a new question....
Basically, there are various scenarios:

- keep it (almost) without changes, it is enouth for basic (static)
  IPsec, and people who want to do dynamic keying, NAT-T, etc... will
  install ipsec-tools, so will have /usr/local/sbin/setkey.

- same as upper, but do "something" to solve the problem when both
  /sbin/setkey and /usr/local/sbin/setkey (same for libipsec) are
  installed.

- just remove setkey/libipsec from base system. People who want "real
  IPsec" will need ipsec-tools or something else, but we can't ensure
  no one will just need setkey/libipsec...

- sync FreeBSD's setkey/libipsec from ipsec-tools. That won't solve
  all issues (/sbin Vs /usr/local/sbin), and this will need regular
  syncs with ipsec-tools.

- Same as upper, but remove sources from /usr/src, consider
  ipsec-tools as a contrib (in /usr/src/contrib) and do "something" to
  automagically update sources when needed (as in /usr/ports).

All those solutions solve some parts of the problems (except the first
one, of course), but keeps/generates some others....

If someone has a magic solution without drawbacks, please tell us !

> Has anyone had any success using the patched FreeBSD along with racoon2.

I just don't know what's the actual status of racoon2, but nat-t
patchset is public and everyone can send changes if that helps
interaction with other daemons (without breaking again the API if
possible.....).

Yvan.