lost routes

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Tue Sep 23 10:35:06 UTC 2008

Giulio,

Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:57:50AM +0200, Giulio Ferro wrote:
> > Was the problem described in some PR?
> >
> I don't know, really. I heard about it in the past (some years ago)
> from another guy, and it has happened to me for at least 2-3 years.
>
> This is just the first time I've decided to report it (my bad)...

Then it will be good to open PR about this: it will allow other people
to see this issue and may be this won't be lost in the mailing lists.

It will be rather hard to do something with this issue if it won't be
reproducible, so it will be great if you (or other people who sees the
simular problems) will find a way to reproduce the problem in some
setup.

> > Can it be so that the interface goes down and then it is resurrected by
> > the sequence that is more-or-less identical to /etc/rc.d/netif restart?
> > This can lead to the route loss.  Do you have some kernel messages that
> > are related to the interface on which routes are lost?
> >

> Nope.
> There are no messages in the logs, and no interface has been
> touched. Anyway, since there are a lot of routes and only one
> gets deleted I don't think it depends on interface changing
> (it would delete them all, wouldn't it?)

Yes, in theory, it should delete all routes having this interface.

> Interestingly enough, one of the routes that is erased has the
> same gateway as several others which aren't deleted. Hope it
> rings some bell...

OK, so, please, file PR, provide as many details as possible, try to
find a way to reproduce this problem (but even if you'll not be able to
do it "just now", post PR anyway) and post a link to the PR here.  May
be Someone (tm) will be able to help you.

My $0.02.
--
Eygene