SCP/SFTP Brain Fart

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jun 19 14:07:46 UTC 2008

Tony Holmes wrote:
 > I have jails and dedicated servers set up with various FreeBSD flavours
 > (4.11, 6.2, 7) on i386 and amd64.
 >
 > Some systems I have no problems with scp/sftping to.  Others I get this:
 >
 > tony at devel  ~
 > 7:49am > scp foo.tar.gz tony at admin:~/
 > Password:
 > stty: stdin isn't a terminal
 > Exit 1
 > Exit 1
 >
 > I get this across all the flavours/archs so it appears to be a setup/config
 > issue. I've compared ssh configs with the working systems, but I see nothing
 > and am stymied.

It seems that your shell profile executes stty(1) even
for non-interactive shells.  That is wrong.  Make sure
that you shell profiles and rc files do not call stty
or produce any output for non-interactive sessions.
Such output confuses scp.

That is, when you enter this command:
$ ssh tony at admin true | hd
then you should not get any output from it.  If you do
get output, you need to fix your shell profile on the
remote host.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you
I didn't have C++ in mind."
        -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97