FD_SETSIZE (too many open file descriptors) + BIND

Ferdinand Goldmann ferdinand.goldmann at jku.at
Tue Jul 22 17:44:46 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I just upgraded a FreeBSD 6.x machine to FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE, and now I'm
seeing this same problem which has already been reported in different postings:

named[51769]: socket: too many open file descriptors
last message repeated 147 times

Obvously it is hitting the 1024 limit:
# sockstat |grep -c named
979

I tried recompiling BIND with -DFD_SETSIZE=4096 by adding it to the CFLAGS in
/usr/src/usr.sbin/named/Makefile, doing a make cleandepend; make depend; make
named; and installing the new named binary in /usr/sbin. So far, the annoying
limit still seems to be there. Am I missing something?

So, in short: How can one raise the @@#$!## limit of FD_SETSIZE in FreeBSD? Is
it still necessary to recompile the kernel, too, as some ancient postings I
found suggest?

TIA & regards,
Ferdinand