FD_SETSIZE (too many open file descriptors) + BIND

Ferdinand Goldmann ferdinand.goldmann at jku.at
Tue Jul 22 19:09:22 UTC 2008

Ferdinand Goldmann wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just upgraded a FreeBSD 6.x machine to FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE, and now I'm
> seeing this same problem which has already been reported in different
> postings:
>
> named[51769]: socket: too many open file descriptors
> last message repeated 147 times

I am following up to my own posting, which was kind of stupid really because I
obviously made some mistakes.

I have now done the following:

# cd /usr/src/lib/bind

Edited config.mk:
CFLAGS+=        -DVERSION='"${BIND_VERSION}"' -DFD_SETSIZE=4096

recompiled bind library and named according to advisory on freebsd-security:

# make obj && make depend && make && make install
# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/named
# make obj && make depend && make && make install

I'm crossing my fingers, but it seems to have done the trick. Monitoring
system usage with sockstat, I have seen values of almost up to 1400 being used
by named without the 'too many open file descriptors' appearing in the logs.

Sorry for my slightly nervous previous posting ...

Regards,
Ferdinand