named.root

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Feb 6 15:27:22 PST 2008

> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:41:14 -0800
> From: Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> > This is both true and false because an IPv6 only DNS server (this may be
> > an imaginary entity)
>
> It is. Modulo some theoretical exercise being performed by people who
> are smart enough to know how to prime them already, there are no
> IPv6-only name servers. Even though the root is ready now, only 112 of
> the 281 TLDs have IPv6 glue of any sort. The IPv6-only Internet is a
> long way away.
>
> Now everything I just said will become less true going forward, which
> is why I said I will do the change request ASAP. But it's still not
> urgent, and any impact that not doing the change tomorrow might have
> is so minimal as to be basically immeasurable.

Doug,

I agree. That's why I said that it is not high-priority, but I wanted to
make people aware that this was not just the usual case when a root
server moves to a new address.

I do suspect that there may be real IPv6 only DNS servers out there,
but, if they exist, they are probably in China and will never point at
the real root servers.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)