named.root

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 6 14:41:25 PST 2008

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Doug,
>
> This is both true and false because an IPv6 only DNS server (this may be
> an imaginary entity)

It is. Modulo some theoretical exercise being performed by people who
are smart enough to know how to prime them already, there are no
IPv6-only name servers. Even though the root is ready now, only 112 of
the 281 TLDs have IPv6 glue of any sort. The IPv6-only Internet is a
long way away.

Now everything I just said will become less true going forward, which
is why I said I will do the change request ASAP. But it's still not
urgent, and any impact that not doing the change tomorrow might have
is so minimal as to be basically immeasurable.

Doug