named.root

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Feb 6 13:29:56 PST 2008

> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:26:29 -0800
> From: Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net at freebsd.org
>
> Petri Helenius wrote:
> >
> > Any chance the recent root zone changes would make it to 7.0?
>
> I will certainly prepare the change request and submit it to re at .
> However please understand that this is a very low priority issue. The
> first thing a resolving name server does when starting up is to use
> the addresses in the root hints file to query a root server to update
> its local cache of the root zone. It only needs to find ONE good
> address in that file to accomplish this.
>
> Doug
>
> --
>
>      This .signature sanitized for your protection

Doug,

This is both true and false because an IPv6 only DNS server (this may be
an imaginary entity) will not find any root servers without the
new file. I think it is probably not high priority, but is of MUCH
higher then the typical root list since it can have a real impact.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)