Weird rc.conf problem

Milan Obuch freebsd-net at dino.sk
Sat Feb 2 04:18:08 PST 2008

Hi,
I am getting weird problem with network configuration.

In rc.conf I have (just for demonstation, only part)

ifconfig_em0="polling"

cloned_interfaces="vlan2"
ifconfig_vlan2="vlan 2 vlandev em0"
ifconfig_vlan2_name="em0.2"

Result is incorrect:

em0.2: flags=8003<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
        vlan: 0 parent interface: <none>

If I use

ifconfig_em0="polling up"

cloned_interfaces="vlan2"
ifconfig_vlan2="vlan 2 vlandev em0 name em0.2"

Result is correct:

em0.2: flags=8003<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:11:22:33:44:55
        vlan: 2 parent interface: em0

In the latter case I am getting some

ifconfig: interface vlan2 does not exist

messages in dmesg, which I was trying to avoid.

This was done on 6.3-STABLE cvsupped and rebuilt some hours ago on amd64.

If anybody has an idea (or a patch) I would like to test it. Error messages in
the second case are a bit annoying only, not too bad, but the first config
makes actually interface renaming feature with vlan interface dangerous, as
the resulting configuration does not work as expected.

Regards,
Milan