Weird rc.conf problem

Milan Obuch freebsd-net at dino.sk
Sat Feb 2 08:59:16 PST 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008, Milan Obuch wrote:
> Hi,
> I am getting weird problem with network configuration.
>
> In rc.conf I have (just for demonstation, only part)
>
> ifconfig_em0="polling"
>
> cloned_interfaces="vlan2"
> ifconfig_vlan2="vlan 2 vlandev em0"
> ifconfig_vlan2_name="em0.2"
>
> Result is incorrect:
>
> em0.2: flags=8003<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
>         vlan: 0 parent interface: <none>
>
> If I use
>
> ifconfig_em0="polling up"
>
> cloned_interfaces="vlan2"
> ifconfig_vlan2="vlan 2 vlandev em0 name em0.2"
>
> Result is correct:
>
> em0.2: flags=8003<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         ether 00:11:22:33:44:55
>         vlan: 2 parent interface: em0
>
> In the latter case I am getting some
>
> ifconfig: interface vlan2 does not exist
>
> messages in dmesg, which I was trying to avoid.

It seems today is not my best, I found the simplest solution at last...

All I need is just one line in rc.conf:

cloned_interfaces="em0.2 em1.16 em1.28"

And one line in loader.conf:

if_vlan_load=YES

That's it. I have no if_vlan in kernel config, this was the reason I can't
find this solution, which really works like I expected.

One should not mix too much old and new features I think.

Milan