reproducible watchdog timeout in bge

Jeff Royle lists at qwirky.net
Mon Jan 22 13:57:03 UTC 2007

MQ wrote:
> 2007/1/22, Wishmaster <wishmaster at velnet.ru>:
>>
>> Hello LI,
>>
>> Sunday, January 21, 2007, 12:52:55 AM, you wrote:

>> LX> Have you tried this one?
>>
>> LX> http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/misc/patch-bge-releng62
>>
>> LX> Cheers,
>>
>> Yes, i tried, but have no effect.
>>
>> after reboot interface works, but if i try to ping with packet for
>> example 1500 bytes and interval 0.01s it looks like
>>
>> answer
>> answer
>> answer
>> ..... over 50 or less icmp answers then
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>
>> in dmesg:
>> bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>> bge0: link state changed to DOWN
>> bge0: link state changed to UP
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Wishmaster                            mailto:wishmaster at velnet.ru
>>

> What about other NIC chips from Broadcom? And how about the packets other
> than icmp under the same load?

I have been unable to produce time outs with my current setup in
6.2-Release.

bge0 at pci3:0:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x81491043 chip=0x165914e4 rev=0x11
hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
     device   = 'BCM5750A1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express'
     class    = network
     subclass = ethernet

Reading the PR, I attempted triggering this through CVSing and through
the above mentioned ping tests.

So far nothing.

The only issue I have seen using these NICs in 6.2R is if I nail up the
NIC at 100baseTX full-duplex I sometimes loose connectivity.   Nothing
in the logs indicate watchdog timeouts or any other issue.   I simply
brought the NIC back down to auto-neg and all seems fine.   I am
assuming this is a incompatibility between the BGE and my switch, RS8000.

I have a Asus P5MT-S with dual BGE NIC's

Cheers,

Jeff