reproducible watchdog timeout in bge

Wishmaster wishmaster at velnet.ru
Mon Jan 22 23:35:31 UTC 2007

Hello Jeff,

JR> MQ wrote:
>> 2007/1/22, Wishmaster <wishmaster at velnet.ru>:

>>> Yes, i tried, but have no effect.
>>>
>>> after reboot interface works, but if i try to ping with packet for
>>> example 1500 bytes and interval 0.01s it looks like
>>>
>>> answer
>>> answer
>>> answer
>>> ..... over 50 or less icmp answers then
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>>
>>> in dmesg:
>>> bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>>> bge0: link state changed to DOWN
>>> bge0: link state changed to UP
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Wishmaster                            mailto:wishmaster at velnet.ru
>>>

>> What about other NIC chips from Broadcom? And how about the packets other
>> than icmp under the same load?

JR> I have been unable to produce time outs with my current setup in
JR> 6.2-Release.

JR> bge0 at pci3:0:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x81491043 chip=0x165914e4 rev=0x11
JR> hdr=0x00
JR>      vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
JR>      device   = 'BCM5750A1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express'
JR>      class    = network
JR>      subclass = ethernet

JR> Reading the PR, I attempted triggering this through CVSing and through
JR> the above mentioned ping tests.

JR> So far nothing.

JR> The only issue I have seen using these NICs in 6.2R is if I nail up the
JR> NIC at 100baseTX full-duplex I sometimes loose connectivity.  Nothing
JR> in the logs indicate watchdog timeouts or any other issue.   I simply
JR> brought the NIC back down to auto-neg and all seems fine.   I am
JR> assuming this is a incompatibility between the BGE and my switch, RS8000.

JR> I have a Asus P5MT-S with dual BGE NIC's

JR> Cheers,

JR> Jeff

There are different types of broadcom chips on my hardware:

bge0: <Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x4101>
mem 0xddef0000-0xddefffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci5
miibus0: <MII bus> on bge0
brgphy0: <BCM5750 10/100/1000baseTX PHY> on miibus0
brgphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto
bge0: Ethernet address: 00:15:f2:cd:21:9a

I don't have any other type of broadcom NIC to test but all other
NICs, for example Intel works correctly.

p.s. MB: ASUSTeK P5M2 /2GBL

--
Best regards,
 Wishmaster                            mailto:wishmaster-velnet at yandex.ru