disable kernel driver at boot?

sfp mosfet at planet.eon.net
Wed May 17 04:24:42 UTC 2006

From: "Oliver Fromme" <olli at lurza.secnetix.de>

> sfp <mosfet at planet.eon.net> wrote:
>  > Is it possible to disable a driver compiled into a 4.10 kernel at
>  > boot time by feeding a (set?) command to the loader?
>  >
>  > In this case I want to turf the EM(4) driver that was compiled into
>  > the kernel I've inherited and substitute it with a new if_em.ko using
>  > kldload.
>
> That's not possible.  You might disable a driver through
> loader variables (or kernel hints, or whatever), but the
> driver will still be present in the kernel image, so you
> cannot load a module that uses the same symbols.

I may have answered my own question.  Compiled em-4.1.6,  replaced if_em.ko
& loaded it from /boot/loader.conf.

The reason I need this is 4.10 enumerates the Pro/1000 GT (PWLA8391GT,
82541PI chipset) as unknown.  Need a newer driver to support the hardware.

I'd still like to find a way to suppress the driver in the kernel entirely
though :P

Thanks for the info!