disable kernel driver at boot?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue May 16 12:42:57 UTC 2006

sfp <mosfet at planet.eon.net> wrote:
 > Is it possible to disable a driver compiled into a 4.10 kernel at
 > boot time by feeding a (set?) command to the loader?
 >
 > In this case I want to turf the EM(4) driver that was compiled into
 > the kernel I've inherited and substitute it with a new if_em.ko using
 > kldload.

That's not possible.  You might disable a driver through
loader variables (or kernel hints, or whatever), but the
driver will still be present in the kernel image, so you
cannot load a module that uses the same symbols.

You will have to compile a kernel that does not include
the driver.

 > I don't have the option of recompiling the kernel to exclude EM(4).

Too bad.  (Why don't you have that option?)

Best regards
   Oliver

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.