vrf support in FreeBSD

Milan Obuch net at dino.sk
Tue May 9 06:25:48 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 06:54, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Pramod Srinivasan wrote:
> >Hi Folks,
> >
> >I am curious to know if there is any plans to support multiple routing
> >tables in FreeBSD's official release?
> >
> >There was some discussion on this topic last year, if there is any vrf
> >patch for a latest release of FreeBSD, I would love to give it a try.
>
> I am doing some small bits of work on this..

Do you have anything to show/test? I am really interested in this and would
like to help, however, I have no real kernel knowledge in this area, sorry.

> how do you want to select which table should be used?
> (This is more of a 'survey' as I am trying to work out what I should
> support)

I saw two approaches on this issue - older one (discovered by me sooner -
spring 2003) was some MPLS patches made by Luigi Iannone uses per-socket
option, somewhat similar to Cisco's method (specifying vrf on command line,
however, I have no internal knowledge of IOS). Somewhat later I discovered
Marco Zec's vimage patch, which enhances jails for this. This makes routing
tables management and understanding simpler - at least for me. I would like
to use second one or something similar.

Regards,
Milan