Problem in net-snmp 5.2.x.

czhao at metcomm.net czhao at metcomm.net
Sat Mar 25 22:40:46 UTC 2006

Hi, I recently upgraded the net-snmp package on some servers from 5.1.x
to 5.2.2_1, and found that the "manual discovery" option in JFFNMS would
not find any CPUs.  I managed to get OpenNMS (marginally) working, and
it also does not find the CPU on systems running the newer net-snmp package.

Systems running the older net-snmp 5.1_4 package have their cpus
detected without problems.  Also, note that if a system was previously
discovered to have cpus and already stored in the database, the cpu
information continues to be updated.  This indicates that the
ucdavis.systemStats tree seems to be functioning when queried directly
(snmpwalk confirms).

I tracked down the manual discovery code in JFF and found (I believe)
that a difference in the return value of .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 is causing the
problem.  Doing on snmpwalk on this OID returns many lines, but the
second line, for 'SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0' returns a value of 'OID:
NET-SNMP-MIB::netSnmpAgenOIDs.255' on systems without the problem and a
value of 'OID: SNMPv2-SMI::dod.0.0.0.0.0.0.0' on system that do have
this problem.

It seems the monitoring packages are using the return value to determine
the type of system and which MIB/OID to use to poll for host information
data.

I have the following questions:
1) Is anyone else seeing this problem or can confirm it's not a problem
on just my systems?
2) Does anyone know if this was an intentional change?
3) What is the "correct" workaround?  Is there a way to specify the old
return value in snmpd.conf for example?  I've looked through the
documentation but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the operation of
the package or snmp to figure it out.

This problem seems to occur regardless of the FBSD version (tried on
4.11 and 6.0).

Thanks for your interest.