Marvell YukonII Status Update?

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 06:26:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:53:52PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
 > Anyone know what's going on with YukonII support in FreeBSD,
 > specifically the Marvell chips used in PCI-Express add-on cards?
 >
 > Last I checked somebody was developing an experimental driver and
 > Marvell had just released the code to their FreeBSD 5.x/6.x driver:
 > mykbsd60x86-8.12.2.3.tar (bindary kmod package)
 > mykbsd60x86-8.12.1.3-src.tgz (source code)

I don't know current status of the driver. ATM FreeBSD YukonII
driver has stability issues and the driver needs big cleanups
if we import the driver into src tree. But I wouldn't do the
job and I'll spend my spare time to other thing.
I know, from my previous experience(sk(4), stge(4)), how
difficult to write a driver without a document and how hard to
write a correct driver without knowing hardware internals. I'm
sure there are many developers eager to write YukonII driver if
they can access the hardware documentation. However I think there
is no possibility that Marvell releases their chip documentations.

 > Has checksum offloading or the performance problems been fixed? Has
 > Marvell updated their driver? Is someone going to commit Marvell's
 > driver to -CURRENT? And what's happening with the experimental driver?

We need a working/stable driver first.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon