multiple natd + ipfw, with 2 internal ip's

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Jan 30 10:49:15 PST 2006

Brian Candler wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 01:01:53PM +0100, Unix-Solutions - Steven wrote:
>

>>Hi you guy's,
>>
>>I have a little problem with my natd or ipfw configuration.
>>

>This may not be what you want to hear, but in my experience if you have a
>configuration with multiple external interfaces and multiple NAT instances,
>ipfw + natd becomes almost impossible to configure correctly. You need
>multiple running instances of natd, which isn't a problem, but making a set
>of ipfw rules which correctly passes the right packets to the right natd
>instances, both inbound and outbound, is pretty hard.

Actually it's pretty easy.

make a separate natd.conf file for each daemon, and specify it to each
daemon on the command line.
then separate out the dataflow usinf ipfw.
e.g.
add 100 skipto 300 ip from any to any in recv fxp0
add 101 skipto 400 ip from any to any in recv fxp1
add 102 skipto 500 ip from any to any out xmit fxp0
add 103  skipto 600 ip from any to any out xmit fxp1

now in each section 300,400,500,600  you can have a different set of
filters etc.
you can also use different divert sockets for the two interfaces,
sending the data to the two different
natds which you have listenning on different divert sockets.

>If I were you, I'd switch to pf. Having two NAT interfaces in pf.conf is
>trivial. So then the only thing you need to do is to swing your defaultroute
>from ISP1 to ISP2, to change the traffic flow.
>

>>Now I want to add 192.168.2.253 as alias on the FXP0
>>and when a PC on my internal network sets his gateway to 192.168.2.253
>>I want that this PC takes the versatel route.
>>How is this possible ?
>>

>Unfortunately, it's not possible at all.

Well you could if you set your internal interface to be in promiscuous
mode and set proxy arp for that address
using a different MAC address. Then using ipfw at the ethernet layer you
could tell which
address it had been aimed at..

A different approach would be to run two different subnets on the wire.
192.168.1.x and 192.1.68.2.x for example.
each by default could be made to go out through a different egress
interface using an ipw FWD
rule.