Ftpd problems

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Jan 28 07:34:03 PST 2006

Iassen Anadoliev wrote:
> Hello guys i hope  this is the appropriate list so...
>
> I am running a ftp server and have some problems with large files. While
> syncing files over 4GB with rsync there is no problem:
>
> ls -lha
> -rw-------  1 support  support   4.2G Nov 14 19:46 somefile.data
>
> But when i try to download the file it fails:

It's entirely possible that either ftpd or your ftp client has a 4GB filesize
limitation, yes.  rsync is a good alternative for such large files, as you've
already discovered.

If you can identify more specificly which side is having the problem, it's
probably worth filing a PR about it.  Try using fetch or curl instead, to see
whether another client does OK, or try using proftpd to test another FTP server.

You might also find that publishing the files via HTTP/1.1 so that byte-surfing
works better than using FTP.

--
-Chuck