Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Pat Lashley patl at volant.org
Thu Aug 24 17:56:10 UTC 2006

> If you want to communicate with an LLA host, fine, obtain an LLA
> address otherwise take a hike.

I'd make that '..., obtain an LLA address, or figure out how to do it via ARP,
otherwise...'

> My LLA implementation already does this..it never removes an address
> from a interface it didn't set itself, and it always sets address
> as aliases.

That already makes it one step better than the Linux implementation I was
working with last year...

>              There is also an option to force it to assign
> (as an alias) a LLA address even if the interface is already is
> configured with another address.

I think that I'd reverse the default on that. There should normally be no harm
in having an LLA address, as long as we've got the non-LLA preference stuff
working correctly. It is quite likely that the LLA address would never actually
be used; but so what?

-Pat