Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Fredrik Lindberg fli+freebsd-net at shapeshifter.se
Thu Aug 24 17:02:09 UTC 2006

Pat Lashley wrote:

> But the whole 'direct communication between LLA and non-LLA on the same
> link' discussion is really a side issue. It should only come up for us
> in a scenario where we want to have a completely zeroconf FreeBSD
> machine (using LLA) in an environment with non-LLA machines. If the
> FreeBSD machine is getting a static or DHCP address and wants to talk to
> LLA machines; then it should also also obtain an LLA address as an alias
> so that it can readily talk to both subnets. (This is one of the reasons
> that I'm campaigning so strongly for doing the LLA addresses as an alias
> even if there is some other address available.)

Ok, that was just what I wanted to hear. Seems like we have talked
around each other.

If you want to communicate with an LLA host, fine, obtain an LLA
address otherwise take a hike.
My LLA implementation already does this..it never removes an address
from a interface it didn't set itself, and it always sets address
as aliases. There is also an option to force it to assign
(as an alias) a LLA address even if the interface is already is
configured with another address.

Fredrik Lindberg