Any miniPCI wireless LAN cards support "wi" in "hostap" mode?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Apr 20 15:00:13 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:52:14 -0700
> From: Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Does anyone know of any miniPCI wireless LAN cards that support "wi"
> in "hostap" mode?
>
> I thought I had struck gold with the Xterasys XG-600 card, because it
> uses a "PRISM GT" chipset, but it appears that "wi" doesn't support
> that particular PRISM chipset at all.
>
> Any other candidates?

Ross,

There are Prism 2.5 based mini-PCI cards out there. I have one (with an
Intel label on it) in my ThinkPad T30. But they are 802.11b only and
have not been made in at least two years, so they won't be easy to
find.

Is there a reason wi support is required? There are several mini-PCI
cards out there with Atheros chip-sets. I was thinking that the Prism GT
was an example of one, but I may be incorrect on that. The ath driver
seems to work much better than the wi for many things and I'm pretty
sure that hostap is supported on it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)