How to use if_bridge

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Tue Apr 18 11:14:32 UTC 2006

Fabian Keil wrote:

> The example section has the following sentence "Such a con-
> figuration could be used to implement a simple 802.11-to-Ethernet bridge
> (assuming the 802.11 interface is in ad-hoc mode)."
>
> I don't get the meaning of the ad-hoc mode part. In my tests if_bridge
> worked in hostap mode as well, but failed in infrastructure mode. Could
> you clarify if (or why not) bridging in infrastructure mode should work?

hostap should work, ad-hoc should work. by infrastructure you mean that
the card operates as a 'station'? then it shouldn't work (correctly) as
defined by the standard. commercial products tend to implement "mac-nat"
or just simple dumb passthrough (which requires support on the ap side
and is very much like ad-hoc mode).

you would want to look into WDS for a standard way of dealing with
bridging on 802.11

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal