How to use if_bridge

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sat Apr 15 21:28:58 UTC 2006

Andrew Thompson <thompsa at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:53:52AM +0200, Fabian Keil wrote:

> > > I don't have any firewalls in the kernel for simplicity at this stage.
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken you have to disable net.link.bridge.pfil_onlyip
> > then. From the if_bridge man page:
> >
> > |net.link.bridge.pfil_onlyip  Set to 1 to only allow IP packets to
> > |                             pass when packet filtering is enabled (subject to
> > |                             firewall rules), set to 0 to unconditionally
> > |                             pass all non-IP Ethernet frames.
> >
> > It's enabled by default.
>
> It may not be entirely clear from the description but that sysctl only
> has affect when packet filtering is enabled, both for the on and off
> values.
>
> At present there are only pfil(9) hooks for IP and IPv6 filters, the
> knob contols what happens when filtering is enabled and the packet is
> not IP so wont be inspected, is it passed or dropped.
>
> I'll try and clarify the man page.

Thanks. I always interpreted the sentence as "Set to 1 to allow IP packets to
pass only if packet filtering is enabled". I thought it should prevent the
user from creating an unfiltered bridge by accident.

Another thing regarding the man page:

The example section has the following sentence "Such a con-
figuration could be used to implement a simple 802.11-to-Ethernet bridge
(assuming the 802.11 interface is in ad-hoc mode)."

I don't get the meaning of the ad-hoc mode part. In my tests if_bridge
worked in hostap mode as well, but failed in infrastructure mode. Could
you clarify if (or why not) bridging in infrastructure mode should work?

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/