Is there an API for ipfw?

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Apr 4 05:59:23 UTC 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 11:19 pm, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
= It would help if you could run, when the traffic stalls, a tcpdump on
= both source and destination, and tell me where you see the traffic.

Ok here is an even simpler case (mspiggy is a Windows 2003 Server):

	% ipfw pipe 1 config bw 6500KBytes/s
	% ipfw add 200 pipe 1 ip from mspiggy to mi

Not even pings come back to the ping program, even though tcpdump (on mi)
shows them returning to the kernel:

	01:52:23.665065 IP mi > mspiggy: ICMP echo request, id 42518, seq 14, length 64
	01:52:23.665359 IP mspiggy > mi: ICMP echo reply, id 42518, seq 14, length 64
	[...]

This seems to first hit, when I try a fractional number of MBytes:

	% ipfw pipe 1 config bw 6.5MBytes/s

Trying to correct it afterwards does not seem to have an effect. The pipe must
be recreated:

	% ipfw pipe 1 delete
	% ipfw pipe 1 config bw 6500KBytes/s

And then everything starts working again. Yours,

	-mi