domain name not resolution too slow or timeouts

Nandagopal nan.gop at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 06:49:35 PST 2005

Hello,
I'm running freeBSD 6.0 Beta 4. It has been almost 1 month since I installed
it. Everything was working fine until today.
The problem, the browser (or any other app) takes too long to resolve a
domain name; sometimes it just times out.
However, I can access websites(services) using their ip address. The data
transfer rates are also normal. I use a cable modem and get my IP using
DHCP. As this machine is also a gateway, I run a named.

Also, I had a system crash today due to a power failure.

Another thing I noticed since the Beta 4 install is that I have to invoke
'dhclient' comand on my public interface very frequently.

I tested the connection using Windows XP; everything works fine. So I guess
there should be no hardware or modem troubles.

Any help is appreciated.
Sirode