domain name not resolution too slow or timeouts

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sun Oct 30 07:13:45 PST 2005

Shakespeare wrote plays and sonnets which will last an eternity,
but on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 20:19 , Nandagopal wrote these truly
forgetable lines:

> I'm running freeBSD 6.0 Beta 4. It has been almost 1 month
> since I installed it. Everything was working fine until today.
> The problem, the browser (or any other app) takes too long to
> resolve a domain name; sometimes it just times out.

That means the nameserver you are pointing to is not resolving the
names.

> However, I can access websites(services) using their ip address.
> The data transfer rates are also normal. I use a cable modem and
> get my IP using DHCP. As this machine is also a gateway, I run a
> named.

That is typical of a nameserver not responding.  A nameserver just
looks up the IPs, so going to an address by IP bypasses the names
server.

> Also, I had a system crash today due to a power failure.

> Another thing I noticed since the Beta 4 install is that I
> have to invoke 'dhclient' comand on my public interface very
> frequently.

> I tested the connection using Windows XP; everything works fine.
> So I guess there should be no hardware or modem troubles.

> Any help is appreciated.

Find the correct name servers.  I don't use DHCP but I've noticed
that many say that DHCP tend to rewrite the /etc/resolv.conf to
add it's own nameserver.

I forget what the process was in DHCP to keep this from happening,
but you can put known working nameservers in your /etc/resolv.conf
and then perform a 'chflags' to make that file read only, and then
nothing will change it until you reset the flags.

You problem Is not a BSD problem.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com