Is fetch -6 supposed to work?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 24 01:04:05 GMT 2005

[Apologies if this is a dupe, I'm not sure it made it to the list the first
time.]

Howdy,

It seems to me that fetch(1) cannot actually fetch files over a v6
connection. For example, the following works:

fetch -s -P -6
http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xchat/xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2
796768

But remove the -s and try to fetch the file and it hangs until it times out:

xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2                             0% of  778 kB    0  Bps
fetch: transfer timed out
fetch: xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2 appears to be truncated: 0/796768 bytes

tcpdump on that interface shows no packets flowing between my host and the
remote host while it hangs.

So, is this supposed to work? Any comments or suggestions? I should also
note that surfing IPv6 sites with my web browser works fine.

Thanks,

Doug