Is fetch -6 supposed to work?

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 24 23:16:08 GMT 2005

If memory serves me right, Doug Barton wrote:

> It seems to me that fetch(1) cannot actually fetch files over a v6
> connection. For example, the following works:
>
> fetch -s -P -6
> http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xchat/xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2
> 796768
>
> But remove the -s and try to fetch the file and it hangs until it times out:
>
> xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2                             0% of  778 kB    0  Bps
> fetch: transfer timed out
> fetch: xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2 appears to be truncated: 0/796768 bytes
>
> tcpdump on that interface shows no packets flowing between my host and the
> remote host while it hangs.
>
> So, is this supposed to work? Any comments or suggestions? I should also
> note that surfing IPv6 sites with my web browser works fine.

Hi Doug--

This didn't quite work for me either, though I would have expected it
to.  (Hmmm...what's the point of "-P" for an HTTP retrieval anyways?)

This is on my RELENG_5 desktop:

tomcat:bmah% fetch -P -6 http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xchat/xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2
fetch: http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xchat/xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2: Operation timed out
tomcat:bmah% fetch -P -6 http://www.kitchenlab.org/www/bmah/Software/pchar/pchar-1.5.tar.gz
pchar-1.5.tar.gz                              100% of  114 kB   14 MBps

And then on my RELENG_6 laptop:

localhost:bmah% fetch -6 http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xchat/xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2
xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2                             0% of  778 kB    0  Bps
fetch: transfer timed out
fetch: xchat-2.6.0.tar.bz2 appears to be truncated: 0/796768 bytes
localhost:bmah% fetch -6 http://www.kitchenlab.org/www/bmah/Software/pchar/pchar-1.5.tar.gz
pchar-1.5.tar.gz                              100% of  114 kB  544 kBps

www.kitchenlab.org is a dual-stack machine.  It's on the same subnet as
my desktop and one hop away from my laptop.

I suspect that there's something about surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net that's
kind of funky (note intensely technical term) but I'm clueless as to why
we can't transfer from it.  From tcpdump, it looks to me like the
three-way handshake works but the transfer hangs after a few packets
have been transferred.  I'm not sure why.

Bruce.