System-induced packetloss on FreeBSD 4.11?

Ragnar Lonn raglon at packetfront.com
Mon Nov 21 08:02:05 PST 2005

Hi all,

Running FreeBSD 4.11, we have noticed that some operations done on one
physical
network interface seems to cause packet drops on other interfaces on the
system.

For example, starting a dhclient process on interface em0 will cause a
few packets to
get dropped on the active interface em1. Doing "ifconfig em0 down ;
ifconfig em0 up"
will also have the same effect.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know why it happens?

It's not a major problem but it would be nice to know what causes it so
we'll know
when to expect it as we're using the system for measurements of, among
other things,
packet loss.

We're using Intel em(4) cards, on FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE + Marko's network
stack virtualization patch.

Regards,

  /Ragnar