Bridge and router

Peter Rog peter at soeteharing.nl
Wed Jan 5 01:53:45 PST 2005

Gents,

I will first tell you my situation:(Sorry for my weak english)

Internet --- Cisco 5200 VXR router(not manageble) --- Hub --- FreeBSD
Bridge(IPFW firewall) --- LAN
This situation works fine...
In this situation i have 1 c-class subnet (255 address routed to the hub)

2 months ago the was configured a second c-class subnet on the same segment.
Only different configured;
one c-class subnet split in to 4 subnets with 64 addresses each.

The first 2 are located on the same segment behind the FreeBSD Bridge.
The 3th is routed like this:
x.x.2.128 - 192  is by the router send to the x.x.1.2. This FreeBSD Router,
located next to the FreeBSD Bridge, is connected to the Hub. The
otherside to the intranet.
Now i want to combine these two machine`s.

I have a HP DL 140 (pizzabox) with 3 network interfaces. One for the
hub(bge0), one for the LAN(bge1) and one for the intranet(xl0).
This al works,... only nog more than a minute. It seems that the
firewall hangs itself by looping packets or something.

The machine has 3 interfaces,
bge0 - WAN - x.x.1.2 - bridge activated
bge1 - LAN - no ip - bridge activated
xl0 - intranet - x.x.2.129 - no bridge

The Sysctl has the bge0 and bge1 in promisc !
the rc.conf has the "Gateway_enable="YES".

Can somebody tell me if there is a solution,...?

Thanks.

Peter Rog