if_bridge and IPv6?

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 30 05:24:58 GMT 2005

If memory serves me right, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 06:19:42PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > Bridging of IPv6 packets going between two hosts on either side of the
> > bridge appears to work just fine (to the point where I can do ping6 and
> > ssh across the bridge).
>
> Good to hear something works :)

Well, just for the record (maybe I mentioned this before) ARP and
unicast IPv4 work as advertised.  So yeah, something works.  :-)

> > > PS.  Food for thought:  Should bridge devices have IFF_MULTICAST set?
> > > Mine doesn't.
> > >
> > > hornet# ifconfig bridge0
> > > bridge0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
> > >         inet (foo) netmask 0xffffff00
> > >         inet6 (bar) prefixlen 64
> > >         ether ac:de:48:cd:e2:32
> > >         priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20
> > >         member: sis1 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
> > >         member: sis0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
> >
> > This looks more and more suspicious to me.  IPv6 ND requires multicast
> > to work and there are several explicit checks for IFF_MULTICAST in the
> > IPv6 output path and neighbor discovery code.
>
> I think you are right, i'll look into it.

Thanks!  If I had some hacking time right now, my first attempt would be
to stick this...

	ifp->if_flags |= IFF_MULTICAST;

...somewhere in bridge_clone_create().  Given how little I actually have
worked with FreeBSD's network drivers, this would really be the "Hail
Mary" approach and I wasn't feeling quite up to it this evening...  :-p

Cheers,

Bruce.