Routing problem (sort of)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Aug 30 01:12:02 GMT 2005

Hi,
I have this problem trying to get a FreeBSD 4.x router to work with my ISP -
it pretty much works except for one thing.

We have a business DSL connection which is bridged ethernet (dc1), we also
have a class C routed via gif. Recently the ISP changed things slightly and
now all our out bound traffic has to travel over the gif tunnel instead of
dc1 like it used to.

The problem is that because gif0 has no address assigned to it any packets
originating from the machine that are not specifically bound to an IP don't
get assigned an IP before they travel over the tunnel (since it has no
address).

I am wondering what the "right" solution is here - I guess I could assign an
IP to the tunnel but it seems like a bit of a waste..

Anyone have any suggestions?
Please CC me as I'm not on -net.

Thanks.

are so many of them to choose from."